What is Culture | Culture | Culture GB Youth




Culture is something people should never misinterpret. Few days ago I came across a post which made me to think that nowadays our culture is misunderstood by our youth of GB .I would like to share my idea about what actually our culture is and how important is it to understand the actual meaning of culture. May be some people will agree and some will disagree with me. However, I would like to share my ideas about what actually the word culture means to me.




Starting with a quote: 



Culture is most difficult word to define


Although yes culture is a difficult word to define as it seems to be a one word but it is actually accompanied by thousands of other words e.g. languages, beliefs, ideas, food, folktales etc that can be used to describes culture of a specific area and the culture never remains constant it changes with time on basis of either need to change or in case people adopt and include things from some other culture but it never remains the same. Let’s go back to the time and try to compare current culture with our old one; do you think we are living a life style our elders used to live?? You see difference a lot of difference don’t you??You can see change in yourself, what kind of culture do you have now a days and what sort of culture our ancestors had. According to my experience some people think wearing a white cap on head with gamburi (Special feather) and performing dance on a local music represents our culture let me correct those that it is not our culture, it is part of our culture. And whenever people see an un-happened event they become so eager to highlight it on social media and mention disrespecting posts just to claim that what is wrong or right without thinking about the situation, Yes I am talking about the Lokvirsa cultural event where some of women of gb also danced on local music and now youth is so much eager to highlight the issue on social media that it is wrong it is not part of our culture. I would like to ask a few questions from youth and request them to think about these questions;





  • Wearing jeans and shirts is what of sort of culture then? Was it a part of our culture in past? NO! We adopted the change according to time and it’s not a big deal. 
  • Do you know any word for “culture” in our local languages (burushaki, shina, etc) According to my research there is no word for culture? We adopted this word from west. Culture is a Latin word which means to cherish. 
  • Mehndi ceremony was it a part of our past?? no we adopted it and it become part of our culture

Likewise there are so many things in our culture have changed and we accepted the change we adopted the change with time. So what if a woman performs dance? Should we degrade and highlight the issue on social media?? I don’t say adopt this or accept it as a change but I want you to know that it is our responsibility to represent our culture in a good manner by accepting and tolerating each other’s thoughts and beliefs if conflicts occur it brings divisions and it is a destructive threat for our identity. Time has changed world is a global village but we are just confused people. Our 50% minds are accepting modernization while rest of 50 % stuck in old era. I concluded the culture in following words,


I am not encouraging that woman should dance in public, but what I want to say is that culture is something that must be understands by every individual of society. And please don’t highlight the issue as a taboo and showing aggression for each other’s ideas will destroy our unity it will divide us into two different groups so kindly learn to respect and tolerate each other.




This is my school of thought, may be your perception would be different, let me know what you think about culture after reading this. 








Post a Comment

0 Comments